How to get more views on Youtube is a question I here a lot these days. Although the main purpose of your video marketing campaign is not only to get a ton of views but to get your viewers to take action.
- Drive traffic to your website
- Build your list
- Build your brand
- Sell your products or services
Of course before we can talk about how to get your viewers to take action let’s get started on how you can get your videos to be seen by the people who are looking for that specific information you present.
In this post I want to share with some of the factors Youtube uses to rank your videos in the search results.
Read my previous post related to video marketing to get some idea about the primary characteristics of popular videos on Youtube.
One of the most important parts of getting views is: keywords. You can do your keyword research either with the Google Keyword Tool or the Youtube Promoted Videos Keyword Suggestion Tool. Most of your views will come from search engine results by people looking for the information you present. Yes, Youtube is the second most popular search engine in the world.
There are 2 things you need to think about when you’re uploading videos on Youtube:
1.Ranking factors: The things that Youtube looks at when it decides how high your video should rank in their search results.
2.Discoverability: Means the way people can find your videos on Youtube including Youtube search engine and Youtube’s “related videos” and “recommended videos” features.
Youtube video ranking factors:
1. Keywords in the title
- Only the first 55 or 60 characters are seen in the search results, so make sure you put your keyword first and then the call to action or sub-topic of your video.
- Write it like a headline so it encourages searchers to click it.
- Use your primary and secondary keyword phrases as many as possible, Youtube themselves encourages users to use as many keywords as possible in the title to increase discoverability.
- Don’t repeat the keywords in your title, it won’t help, using different keywords will.
- Use every last character available in the title to maximize the chances of being discovered.
- Always remember, don’t spam by using unrelated keywords, this can get your videos flagged by the people watching them. But don’t retain from using as many keywords related to your topic as possible as long as the title makes sense.
2. Keywords in the description
- According to Youtube the more words you include in your description the higher your chances of being discovered by searchers.
- Write long descriptions and try to incorporate every single primary, secondary and close related keyword phrase you can.
- Use all the characters allowed if possible
- Don’t bother to repeat you primary keyword phrase multiple times unless you absolutely need to, it won’t help your rankings.
3. Keywords in the tags
- Use as many relevant keywords as you can fit in as tags including your primary and secondary keyword phrases.
- Use quotation marks around your multi-word keyword phrases that you wish to rank high for.
- Also add your primary and secondary keyword phrase without quotation marks to help increase discoverability for search phrases related to your topic that you didn’t even thought about.
- You should generally use quotation marks for multi-word keyword phrases when you really want to make sure you rank high for that specific keyword phrase.
4. Incoming links
- There is no doubt that incoming links are the most powerful way to rank for a particular keyword phrase, especially for Google
- Embed your videos on blogs, social networks, articles, forums to build incoming links.
- Use the keyword phrase you want to rank for as the anchor text or alt tag in embedded videos.
5. Time watched
- Try to create quality content that is relevant to your topic to keep the viewer engaged.
- Add Youtube “Annotations” to your videos that link to your other related videos playlists or your channel.
- Use the new “In Video” feature to show a thumbnail hyperlink to your most popular videos. I recommend you insert it right before the moment where you lose your average viewer in your top videos.
6. Total video views
- Announce your video to your list.
- Embed the video on high traffic sites.
- Announce the video on social media sites
- Create video responses to other videos related to the same topic. This always get’s a lot of people to view your video especially if the responded to video is very popular.
7. Total likes and dislikes
- Use annotations to ask for a “thumbs up”.
- Ask viewers to like your video.
- Add a P.S. to your email or in the post/article you embedded the video reminding people to “Like” your video when they watch it.
- In your description ask people to “Like” comments.
8. Total embeds
- Embed the video on your blog.
- Embed the video in an article.
- Embed the video in a press release.
9. Total shares
- Ask viewers to share your video.
- Use annotations to ask viewers to share.
- In your description ask people to share your video with their friends.
10. Total playlists it is added to
- Create playlists with multiple video related to the same topic.
- Ask your viewers to add the video to their playlists.
- Ask viewers to subscribe to your channel.
- Customize your channel page so that it encourages people to subscribe.
- Use annotations to ask people to subscribe.
- In your descriptions ask people to subscribe.
- Use annotations to ask for comments.
- In your description ask people to leave comments.
- Wherever you embed your videos always add a P.S. asking people to leave comments.
13. Category choice
- Choose a category related to your video but try one which has less competition. This way you will stand a better chance to have your video featured which can lead to a lot of free traffic.
Well this sums up the ranking factors that Youtube uses to position your videos in their search results. I recommend that you go through some of your uploaded videos and cross-reference them with these ranking factors, maybe there is something you missed that could determine a higher ranking for your videos.
I would like to know what are your stories about Youtube videos, or if I missed something please let me know. Are there any specific strategies you have used that were more successful than others for your niche, you are welcomed to share them in the comment box.
Oh, and I almost forgot, please share this article with your friends :). Thanks and I hope you enjoyed reading this, also stay tuned for more useful information on video marketing in the near future.